“The playing field is poised to become a lot more competitive, and businesses that don’t deploy AI and data to help them innovate in everything they do, will be at a disadvantage.”
When it comes to building a successful team, creating a robust talent pipeline is a critical step. But before you get there, a tremendous amount of work goes into sourcing and screening candidates. The manual review of resumes consumes an infamous amount of the recruiter’s time and energy when it comes to high-volume recruitment scenarios. To address this challenge, recruiters embraced technology that can reduce the resume reviewing time, and thus, increase their efficiency. Not only does it save the recruiters time during the hiring process, but it also leads to faster onboarding of new employees. In this article, we will understand and define resume screening, discuss the challenges in manual resume screening, understand how automated resume screening works, and go over the roles and benefits of AI & RPA in automated resume screening.
What is resume screening?
Resume screening is the process of identifying qualified applicants who fit best with the job description. Recruiters / HRTech platforms screen and match applicants’ qualifications, experience, and other information on the resume against the job description to narrow down the list of eligible candidates.
Why is it important?
- Resume screening allows recruiters to examine the background of individuals and determine their suitability for the job and company culture.
- It also allows the recruiter to consider whether the job ad’s requirements are realistic for the job market. If there are no applicants that have the required skills and years of experience, then the recruiter may consider adjusting their expectations for the job.
Challenges in manual resume screening:
- Time: Manual resume screening is a much lengthier process than using screening software, as it involves the recruiter reviewing each resume on their own.
- Inaccuracy: Recruiters may review the same resume multiple times if not initially recognized (applicants reapply often)
- Volume: It will become cumbersome to review each resumes in high-volume recruitment scenarios
- Quality: Recruiters may find it difficult to adhere to any particular standard while screening. Parameters & score cards may vary which can lead to unqualified recruits
- Bias: Personal favoritism in terms of race, ethnicism, pedigree etc may occur knowingly or unknowingly, which leads to biased recruitment
The solution: Automated resume screening
Manual or traditional resume screening and hiring processes cannot offer the accuracy, scalability, and reliability that enables organizations to build their human resource capital at the velocity of their growth. The answer lies in automating the entire recruitment process.
How does it work?
- Automated resume screening streamlines the review process by pre-selecting the most qualified resumes based on keywords matches
- Automating the resume screening process can even further be improvised by establishing a certain criteria that is evaluated by the recruitment automation platform with each new applicant. Based on whether the candidate meets that criteria, the platform would then reject or advance their application.
- Recruitment automation platforms enable real-time communication between recruiters and candidates that keep them engaged throughout the recruitment process. All this without taking up any more of the recruiters’ time.
The Role of AI & RPA in resume screening
RPA solutions in resume screening: How it works
- RPA streamlines the entire recruitment process by leveraging intelligent automation, enabling organizations to shortlist resumes and candidates on a simple, rules-engine that aligns the right candidates with the skill sets required.
- The RPA bot has access to multiple job portals to download resumes submitted by applicants. RPA enabled recruitment systems will download the resumes submitted by job seekers and store them for further action.
- Once the resumes have been categorized, the bot will match them against pre-defined criteria set by the recruiter. After screening through all the resumes, the RPA bot will classify the resumes into two categories: those that meet the threshold and those that don’t.
- The bot can then be configured to complete follow-up actions and share the resume screening report with the recruiter.
- The bot can also send predefined online assessments/tests to the selected candidates, collect the results, and use them in sorting/short listing candidates.
AI-driven solutions in resume screening: How it works
- The most popular feature of AI in resume screening is its ability to learn a company’s hiring preferences. They do this by analyzing existing company records for patterns among those who were hired.
- Because preferences change, AI screening tools do, too. Their machine learning algorithms constantly update the scoring system based on who now is getting interviewed and hired. The more data these programs have to work with, the better their scoring and ranking.
- AI is famously used to eliminate bias by scrubbing details like names, gender and racial references, and even suggestive phrases.
- When audited regularly and managed by talent acquisition professionals sensitive to the issues, AI resume screening results in accurate hiring more quickly and more efficiently.
Benefits of automating the screening process
- Delivers higher efficiency and scale
- Reduced inaccuracy
- Reduced unconsciousness bias
- Seamless high volume recruitment
- Superior candidate experience
Streamlining resume screening is a vital step towards accurate hiring. However, while choosing automation platforms, recruiters must go above and beyond simply narrowing down some random automation platforms. Dig deep down about the platform’s offerings and decide whether they fit the organization’s current and future requirements. Recruiters must look for reliable & trustworthy HRTech automation platform providers to maximize recruitment automation efforts.
The role of impress.ai in resume screening automation:
impress.ai has been offering AI-powered recruitment solutions for organizations across Asia since 2017. With impress.ai, organizations have automated and streamlined their recruitment process, and were able to ensure a superior candidate experience.
Here are some of the case studies that details how we helped different organizations with our resume automation solution:
- The Regional Development bank partnered with impress.ai to build a modern, AI-powered recruitment workflow to tackle the manual process and align it with the bank’s digital aspirations.
- A global RPO specialist enhanced candidate experience and cuts costs for a global investment bank with impress.ai
- Singtel, Singapore’s Telecommunication company automated pre-screening and company based assessment with impress.ai
Drop us a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about our recruitment automation solutions.